The Prime Minister’s Scholarship is administered by Education New Zealand, and is awarded to individuals or groups undertaking programmes in Asia and Latin America. It is a prestigious scholarship which covers tuition or programme fees, return flights and a living allowance.
Note on current conditions
The scholarship programme is currently suspended due to the ongoing international travel restrictions caused by Covid-19, but we expect the scholarship to resume once international travel activities commence. For more information, please visit the website: Prime Minister’s Scholarships for Asia and Latin America.
The scholarship aims to:
- Strengthen New Zealand institutions’ connections with their counterparts in key Asian countries
- Promote understanding of the strength and quality of New Zealand’s education system and raise awareness of New Zealand as a preferred education destination
- Improve the international skills of the New Zealand workforce
- Strengthen people-to-people connections between New Zealand and countries in Asia through participants building lifelong friendships and networks.
- Strengthen New Zealand’s ability to engage with key trading partners
- Improve New Zealanders’ understanding of key trading partner’s business practice and culture
Long-term, Prime Minister’s Scholars are expected to:
- Apply their skills, knowledge and abilities
- Embrace different cultural contexts
- Develop as genuine, respectful global citizens
- Use their skills, knowledge and networks to contribute to engagement and cooperation between New Zealand and key trading partners
HOW TO APPLY
There are two application rounds per year, with deadlines on 30 March and 30 August. The 360 International team runs workshops each year to help students prepare their applications.
- Be at least 18 years old at the date of applying for the scholarship, AND
- Be a New Zealand citizen or hold Permanent Resident status and in all cases be ordinarily resident in New Zealand, i.e., have resided in NZ for 12 of the previous 24 months.